Re: Bad Page Design (was: Cursors! Foiled again)

Subject: Re: Bad Page Design (was: Cursors! Foiled again)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 09:27:58 -0800

Andrew Plato wrote:

> B) Who the hell uses a 28.8 modem anymore and why would any B2B site want to
> target such low-end slobs? Its like Netscape 3.0 users. Sheesh, upgrade
> already.

The last I heard, about 30% still do. That's about ten times greater
than the Netscape 3.0 users, I think. While I suspect that not much
of that percentage is business, you never can tell. Round about the
time that a Pentium -133 was the fastest CPU, I heard of at least
one large hotel chain that ran off 286s.

> C) For every design "rule" of web pages there is an equal and fundamentally
> opposite "rule". In other words, there are few if any rules. It is pretty much
> all a matter of personal taste.

Well, yes and no. Typography has existed for well over five
centuries, and has some well-defined standards. While you might
dismiss these standards as simply agreed-upon conventions, a better
way to look at them is as accumulated experience of what works and
what doesn't. An experienced typographer is perfectly capable of
saying that something is well-designed, but not to his or her
personal taste, which suggests that it isn't entirely subjective.

It might be more accurate to say that the rules of design are like
the rules of grammar: rough guide lines that an expert can break if
convenient.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Rationality itself, tied to moral decency - the most powerful joint
instrument for good that our planet has ever known."
-Stephen J. Gould, Introduction, "Why People Believe Weird Things"