Re: Should writers develop their own illustrations?

Subject: Re: Should writers develop their own illustrations?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 10:49:27 -0800

Ward Rosenberry wrote:

> A writer should know how to convey information - some information is
> suited for prose, some for tables and lists and some is best presented
> graphically.
>
> Is a writer who cannot develop graphic content lacking an essential
> skill?

If you're a contractor, being a generalist is important to keeping
employed. So, I would say that some ability to generate graphics is
worth having for a contractor. For a full-time employee, the skill
might be less important, but it does increase your general
employability. And, with today's tools, basic skills aren't hard to
acquire. Often, the ability to create a decent graphic is just the
willingness to take the time to do it right.

In addition, it's very useful to be able to talk to designers in
their own language, since you'll often be working with them, whether
in or out of house.

I suppose my goal is to be a jack of all trades, not able to replace
a programmer or designer, but able to understand them, do some of
the simpler aspects of their work, and, in a crisis, fill-in where
I'm needed. Of course, the reality falls a little short of the goal,
but I'm working on it. :-)

But I suppose the only answer that really counts here is: "That
depends whether developing graphic content is part of the job."

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Rationality itself, tied to moral decency - the most powerful joint
instrument for good that our planet has ever known."
-Stephen J. Gould, Introduction, "Why People Believe Weird Things"