RE: Should writers develop their own illustrations?

Subject: RE: Should writers develop their own illustrations?
From: "Michele Marques" <marquesm -at- autros -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 14:09:24 -0500

While I believe that technical writers should be able to develop certain
types of illustrations (screen captures, flow charts, tables, simple
diagrams), I also believe that you can't assume that most technical writers
can create all illustrations as professionally as a graphic artist.

How many times do we complain about people who think they can do adequate
technical writing just because they speak and write English? The logic is
the same - someone who works all day as a graphic illustrator (or a
technical illustrator) is more likely to have better ideas about how the
finished graphic should look (e.g., maybe you are trying to include too much
or too little detail or your graphics are not consistent in style or color)
and be more technically skilled at producing the desired graphic (meaning
that person can do it better and/or faster).

This is not to say that there aren't some people who are talented as both
illustrators and writers. So please don't flame me that you can (or know
someone who can) do both!

Michele Marques
Technical Writer,
Autros Healthcare Solutions