Re: 28.8 Modem Users

Subject: Re: 28.8 Modem Users
From: Jean Weber <jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 21:19:08 +1000

Andrew Plato wrote:

My point in my remark was that many companies do not target home users with
slow modems and as such, large graphics on the site are not a big concern.

As always, you have to target a site to an audience. Just remember that YOU
might not be a somebody's audience.

Then, of course, there's the companies that apparently *don't* target a site to their audience. My favorite bad examples are several sites that sell software to be used on Psion palmtop computers, but that cannot be successfully navigated by anyone actually *using* a Psion to access them.

Isn't that the target audience? Do they expect Psion users to *also* have a machine running something that can access their sites? (In some cases, that's exactly what they do expect, as stated in answers to queries to the webmasters of the sites concerned. I think this is really short-sighted and off the mark.)

Do they decide that Psion users without another computer aren't potential customers? Do they think that segment of the market is so small that they just don't care? Perhaps it is; I don't know; but it seems silly to me to deliberately ignore any potential customers. It wouldn't be difficult to make those sites accessible to that market segment as well, if someone chose to do so.

Certainly some companies do make informed decisions, but the impression I get is that many of them do not.

Jean

Sponsored by DigiPub Solutions Corp, producers of PDF 2001 Conference East, June 4-5, Baltimore/Washington D.C. area.