Re: 28.8 Modem Users

Subject: Re: 28.8 Modem Users
From: "Jonathan Soukup" <JSoukup -at- at-track -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 13:02:57 -0600

I feel like I just gotta jump on the bandwagon here.

Andrew Plato wrote:
>My point in my remark was that many companies do not target home users with
>slow modems and as such, large graphics on the site are not a big concern.

To borrow a cheap and cheesy term, you've got to learn to think outside the box. There is a vast world of business outside computer software, computer hardware, and telecommunication. There are probably thousands of small to mid-sized businesses who gross $1 - $2 million in sales per year who have small websites and use email on a daily basis all by way of a modem.

With web-hosting getting down to $25 - $50 a month for a small web presence, a lot of the little guys are realizing it's a good way to interact with customers, even if their website is nothing more than a cyber-billboard.

This kind of advertising generates interest in products and encourages customers (other small companies) to contact the company through email. Do you need a T-1 line or DSL to download email? No, not at all. Do you want to spend an extra $65/month for a DSL line and hassle with the setup, no, not really. Do you need a DSL/T-1 line to browse the Internet for 30 minutes a day? Well, it would be nice, but the modem still works pretty good.

So the 56k modem is still a viable alternative for companies like this.

So what's with the 28.8 magic connection speed? Because about half of the phone lines in the U.S. suck and haven't been upgraded since they were installed. In many cases on a 56k modem, you'll be lucky to connect at 33.6 on a regular basis.

My point to all of this mindless babbling: if you're going to target small to mid-sized business, you need to keep 28.8 users in mind.

-Jonathan Soukup