Re: HTML v .hlp [RE: 28.8 Modem Users]

Subject: Re: HTML v .hlp [RE: 28.8 Modem Users]
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 11:28:54 -0800 (PST)

> applications? Why would we *ever* want to require an end-user to
> install a browser just for Help? I wouldn't. Our systems have
> no interaction with the Internet. (If anyone has successfully

Paul...isn't that like saying that I shouldn't have to install
Acrobat reader just to view PDFs? Do you deliver anything to
customers on PDFs? If so, I'll bet you simply tell them that if they
don't have the reader, to download it and you give them the address
or you include it in your software installation (like we do).

The fact that Internet Explorer also reads web pages has nothing to
do with the fact that it is the viewer for HTMLHelp just like Acrobat
reader is to PDFs. if you take away the emotional issue that IE is
from MS and some people just hate MS, then I don't see the issue as
being that big a deal (aside from the fact that anyone with Win98 or
greater already has it. The only people who need to download IE are
Win95.

I think if you intersect the people with Win95 with those that don't
want IE on their machine, with those that haven't already installed
IE, that the people in that intersection are a pretty small group.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
"How to be happy in life: Never impose your beliefs
on anyone else and never fry bacon in the nude."
-- Anon

http://photos.yahoo.com/