RE: FrameMaker's apprentice

Subject: RE: FrameMaker's apprentice
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 10:47:32 -0500

Hallo:

I recommend you stop by Adobe's User to User forums and check out the
FrameMaker forum (http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/main.html). See the
FrameMaker FAQ thread on that forum for third-party book information.

If you were coming from Ventura, with a comfort level in Ventura, FrameMaker
would be easier to pick up than coming in from Word. FrameMaker and Word do
pretty much everything very differently. FrameMaker has a less-intuitive
GUI, klutzy interface, and poor import/export filters. FrameMaker makes up
for this by being rock solid and providing true support for long, technical
documentation. The most important bias or thing to get out of your head when
approaching FrameMaker is:

***FrameMaker is **not** like Word. It is okay for products not to be like
Word. While you are used to the way Word does things, you can become one
with FrameMaker.***

Pick up Adobe FrameMaker Classroom in a Book and run though the tutorials.

Cheers,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com