Division of Duties (was: FrameMaker, Word and RoboHelp)

Subject: Division of Duties (was: FrameMaker, Word and RoboHelp)
From: bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 14:24:02 -0600

Actually, there are places where that still happens. Until last September I
worked at a defense plant where there was a definite division of labor.

There were:

*Writers, divided by Operator level, Unit mechanic level, Depot mechanic
level, and Troubleshooting.

*"Word processors" (their actual title) who did page layout in an old DOS
version of Word Perfect (except for the electronic manual on which I spent
most of my time there).

*Logistics people who dealt with parts lists and stuff like that.

*Artists who did some amazingly detailed line art in AutoCAD (on the
electronic manuals we wrote, you can actually count the threads on the
bolts).

*The customary management overhead.