Re: font size equivalence

Subject: Re: font size equivalence
From: bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 13:28:35 -0600

One thing that I think people are losing sight of in the age of WYSIWYG HTML
programs is that HTML was never meant to allow exact layout control.

I have been absolutely abhorred by the output of a WYSIWYG program recently.
I revised a document that was basically one big table over 13 pages. The
software had inserted font face, size, and color tags (as well as several
other formatting tags including a cell width) for every cell of that table.
It also included a bunch of UML tags and a bunch of other worthless stuff,
like a table width requirement that wasted more than 30% of the screen.

By the time I was through cleaning that mess up, not only did it look better
but it was only 10% of the original size and was compatible all the way back
to the earliest browsers that allow tables.