RE: More on tiff and gifs for screen captures

Subject: RE: More on tiff and gifs for screen captures
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 10:46:11 -0500

Hallo:

I save them as BMP and when I create my online help WebWorks Publisher
converts (prints via PostScript) the BMPs to GIF (or, I could choose PNG or
even JPEG). However, there is really no reason I cannot capture in GIF or
PNG and leave the whole thing alone when going to online help, except that I
miodify the size and placement of the images for use in the online help.

TIFF has an advantage over BMP in that TIFF is supported on non-Windows
platforms and TIFF supports CMYK colors, not just RGB that BMPs support.
However, with regards to screen captures, how many of us are using a
four-color process or care about color accuracy?

> * Does the dpi you specify in the capture tool make any difference at all
> your print or web output? (That is, if I set Snag-It to 300 dpi, why would
> it matter since the screen is only 72 dpi?)

Sure, by resampling, SnagIT creates a physically smaller image (shrinking
the image size to 50%, for example, quadruples the resolution). Most
screens, even Macs, are 96dpi-ish, BTW. Still, 96dpi is low enough to
produce jaggies on a 600dpi laser printer . . .. I resample my images to
120dpi, which divides evenly into my printer resolution.

Cheers,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com