Tools: Typing class?

Subject: Tools: Typing class?
From: "Nancy Osterhout" <bluetwilight -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 13:50:42 -0800

Chuck Martin wishes: <<Now if I had just taken more than one
typing class in
high school..... :)>>

Geoff Martin comments: <<Me too; would've gotten a lot more
dates in high school, since not a lot of
guys took those classes. But actually, there's no longer
much need to take a formal typing class, since plenty of
software exists to teach you how
to type. >>

Gee. When I took typing for the business track in high
school (girls weren't allowed to take woodshop or metal shop
back then :-( , only sewing and cooking ), I was going 85
words a minute, and when I finished my secretarial A.A.
degree in college in the 1970's, I was doing 110 words per
minute with no errors. No guys in any of those classes --
they were all in woodshop! Shucks! I would have gotten
more dates, too.

Still, hearing everyone's manual typewriters clicking along
was encouraging. Although everybody can type these days, it
seems, the Gregg shorthand that I learned in high school and
college sure pays off these days, too! SME's talk really
fast sometimes and this way I can get their words verbatim
in my notes.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"Never underestimate the power of a typewriter. Sturdy,
cute, but essentially serious, it often turns off office
frolickers. But with the dash of imagination, that old
Selectric goes really electric. One of the most popular
uses of the basic electric typewriter is the type-jam
session. This is sort of sound celebration of keys in
motion. There must be at least two, but as many as five,
nearby electric typewriters for the successful type-jam
session. The participants turn on their instruments and, at
a signal from the leader, join in an organized
"letter-perfect" session. In this relatively formal
type-jam, everyone types the same letter or memo in time to
the leader, who beats rhythm by slapping a metal wastebasket
with her steno book. Variation: hold free-form type-jam
sessions where everyone expresses her own rhythmical
desires. Few people remember that Billie Holiday and Barbra
Streisand started out this way."

-- Kathy Matthews, Take A Letter Yourself! ISBN
0-345-30331-8