communication and gender (was Lurker Seeking Assistance)

Subject: communication and gender (was Lurker Seeking Assistance)
From: "Nancy Osterhout" <bluetwilight -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 08:03:02 -0800

A lurker asked about the differences in ways men and women
communicate and how this affects collaborative work.

The best references I've found for the differences in the
ways men and women communicate are two national best sellers
by Deborah Tannen, Ph.D. (professor of linguistics at
Georgetown University).

* You Just Don't Understand -- Women and Men in
Conversation
ISBN 0-345-37205-0

* That's Not What I Meant! -- How Conversational Style
Makes or Breaks Relationships
ISBN 0-345-37972-1

A comment by Jack Rosenthal, Pulitzer Prize winner and
editor at The New York Times: "We are, all of us,
foreigners to each other: editor and writer, man and woman,
Californian and New Yorker, friend and friend. Dr. Tannen
shows us how different we are, and how to speak the same
language."

HTH.