Re: Learning translation management

Subject: Re: Learning translation management
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- qwest -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 12:22:24 -0700

David,

"International Technical Communications" by Nancy Hoft covers most of
the basic issues you need to think about, including how to work with
translation companies and the kind of information you need to provide to
them. ISBN 0-471-03743-5.

If you have anything to do with managing the translation of the GUI, you
should also look into the issues surrounding software
internationalization and translation. There are lots of books devoted to
this, most of them directed at software developers rather than technical
writers. I found the beginning chapters of the Java Look and Feel Design
Guidelines a good place to start, and they have a whole bibliography at
the beginning of their guide.
http://java.sun.com/products/jlf/dg/higtitle.alt.htm

Lisa Wright
Technical Writer