Re: Break Into Telecommuting

Subject: Re: Break Into Telecommuting
From: Dianne Blake <write-it -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 18:45:34 -0800

> "Holder, Luanne" wrote:

What have you seen, Bruce, that makes you think companies are moving
away from telecommuting? I was hoping that they were closer to
embracing it.

~~~~~~~~

I did a lot of research on telecommuting in San Diego, CA, over
several years. I was hoping to build a business that would be part of
the telecommuting support system. The Caltrans project in Sacramento
got everyone's hopes up. The city even helped to fund some remote work
sites. But it wasn't long before they were all closed because no one
was using them.

The traffic is absolutely awful here. We have lots of high-tech jobs
where folks could work from home. But I find that there is a strong
need to see someone planted in the chair everyday.

I keep hoping that with the energy crisis here that companies will get
smart and start thinking - "hey, we can cut our energy costs by
letting folks work from home". But I'm not going to hold my breath.

-Dianne Blake