Re: Is TW Still Hospitable to Novices? A Dilemma

Subject: Re: Is TW Still Hospitable to Novices? A Dilemma
From: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 10:30:23 -0600

I broke into tech writing - REAL tech writing - in 1993, and I was probably one
of last ones to slip in via a back or side door, becoming a true tech writer
with nothing more going for me than a lucky break and a true gift for doing
this. Yes, I had the writing skills, but so what? So do a lot of others. I just
happened to be very fortunate, and I'm very aware of it.

When I talk to to the local STC Newcomer's SIG, I warn people not to try this at
home, kiddies, your chances are almost nil. Our world has become VERY technical
and it's not going to slow down anytime soon. Sometimes I feel like I'm running
at full speed just to stay even, if you falter, you fall behind, never to catch
up. Today, if you want to be a tech writer, you have to be able to do more than
just write well. You have to know tools and technologies. And you have to be
able to learn fast. I'm glad I got in when I did.

Jo Byrd