Re: Telecrastinating

Subject: Re: Telecrastinating
From: TSilvergirl -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 22:01:17 EST

In a message dated 1/30/01 3:02:48 PM Pacific Standard Time,
intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com writes:

<< The majority of Americans are lazy, selfish, spiteful, and obsessive. They
will
do the absolute bare minimum required to get their paycheck. If you run a
company and sign paychecks - you know this as fact. Finding good, motivated,
hard-working people is very hard. Most people simply do not want to work.
And
to top it off, they think the universe owes them something for their
laziness. >>

Perhaps the manager's attitude plays into this. As an employee, I am not
asking for kudos from an employer before I even lift a finger, but I do
expect--at the very least--a neutral attitude. Just as it would be unfair of
me to assume that because I've worked for a psycho jerk in the past, all
employers must be psycho jerks, so too is it unfair for an employer to slam
me with her/his preconceived baggage about employees the second I walk
through the door (i.e. Christy=employee=lazy, selfish, spiteful, obsessive).
A negative attitude is unattractive in anyone, be it employee or employer.
On the other hand, I'll work my ass off for employers who treat me like a
human being, while also giving them my unswerving loyalty.

<<Another factor is the "Cult of Management" problem. Everybody wants to be
the
big shot in charge....>>

Many people don't want to be the big shot in charge; they simply don't want
to work for the _psycho jerk_ big shot in charge.

<<What is my point? I really don't have one. Just don't be a lazy bum and get
back to work. You're lucky we don't fire you.>>

To just say "you're lucky we consent to work for you" would be too easy,
because I'm picking up on the larger problem of you constantly choosing
sub-par (at best) employees to work for you. The current thread on people
who want to get into tech writing (or who are new to the field) shows there
are plenty of people quite willing to work hard to prove themselves; would it
be appropriate to your company's situation to draw from that pool?
In any case, good luck to you on further refining your technique in weeding
out the problematic employees who are giving the rest of us such a rotten
reputation in your eyes.

Christy Turner Pintagro

"When you're going through hell, keep going."
--Winston Churchill