Re: re The Sub Shop Guy

Subject: Re: re The Sub Shop Guy
From: "Herman Holtz" <h -dot- holtz -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 06:36:34 -0500

Perhaps the view or reaction of coworkers and/or management is dependent
on what your work and its results do for them. If they get no personal
reward--e.g., aid in performing some chore of their own--it's easy to take
your work and your achievements for granted. No body cared whether I won a
new contract or not, unless that contract yhad some effect on thei lives,
even as little as bragging rights, if they had been even indirectly involved
in the accomplishment. - Herm

> I've been performing and supervising technical writing for more than
> twenty years, and I've been the least appreciated when I worked
> the hardest. I don't know whether it's because when the management
> doesn't appreciate the writer, the management tends to assign a
> lot of work on the assumption that it's easy; or perhaps
> because by doing a lot of high-quality work in a short time, I
> lead the management to assume that the work is easy and therefore
> not deserving of much appreciation; or simply because when I am
> working very hard I am not as cheerful, forgiving, and mellow as
> when I have plenty of time to spare.

herm-subscribe -at- Topica -dot- com/ or go to
http://www.topica.com/lists/herm.