RE: use of "per"

Subject: RE: use of "per"
From: David Arran <darran -at- aatech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 13:25:11 -0500

>> Mike W wrote:
>>
>> >MS MoS suggests that "per" should only be used in a
>> >"statistical or technical context."
>> >
>> >I have this sentence in my document:
>> >
>> >The formal review of this plan should take place a
>> >minimum of once per year.
>> >
>> >Am I using "per" correctly?

>>Dick replied:

>> Mike,
>>
>> I hate to admit agreeing with MoS, but in this case I do.
>>
>> "...minimum of once a year" works better for me.

>To which Mike responded:

>While I don't mind admitting to agreeing with either
>Microsoft or Dick Margulis, I think "at least once a
>year" sounds much more natural and less psuedo-
>statistical than "a minimum of once per year."

My opinion on the matter? Being British, once per year sounds fine to my
ears.

<tongue in cheek>
However, being of a British persuasion, I'd actually say once per annum.
Though I'd also say miles per hour, now that's not an exclusively
statistical or technical term, is it?
</tongue in cheek>

David J. Arran
Corporate Trainer
Kaba Benzing America
305-819-4000 ext. 357
darran -at- aatech -dot- com
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no
account be allowed to do the job." - The Restaurant at the End of the
Universe, by Douglas Adams