RE: Creating watermarks in PageMaker

Subject: RE: Creating watermarks in PageMaker
From: Geoff hart <ghart -at- attcanada -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 08:35:49 -0500

Linda Michaels reports:
> I have a big (black) graphic in a PageMaker document (it's a .wmf file), and
> I want to lighten it up and send to the back, but I can't figure out how to
> do it. I tried opening the Colors palette and playing with the tint, but it
> didn't work.

The odds are good that you can't do it, since WMF is a bitmap format and
PageMaker primarily lets you color object (line) art in the way you described.
If you want to work with the bitmap, try opening it using PM's photo tools (I
don't have the software handy, so I can't check on where those are located, but
I do know that they're there somewhere). But you probably shouldn't try most
image adjustments within PM, and should instead alter all graphics in the
original application that created them; the problem isn't that PageMaker can't
handle the changes (it generally can), but rather that doing so increases the
processing time on a typesetter or printer, and can lead to PostScript errors
if that processing grows sufficiently complex that it overwhelms the output
device's RIP (the software that converts the image of the page into dots on the
paper or film).

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- netcom -dot- ca
Pointe-Claire, Quebec, Canada
"Most business books are written by consultants and professors who haven't
spent much time in a cubicle. That's like writing a firsthand account of the
Donner party based on the fact that you've eaten beef jerky."--Scott Adams, The
Dilbert Principle