API Documentation?

Subject: API Documentation?
From: Geoff hart <ghart -at- attcanada -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 09:01:01 -0500

Marc A. Santacroce wondered:
> I've just become aware of the need (at least in the SF Bay area) for
> technical writers who can document Application Program (or
> Programmer) Interfaces. Can anyone point me to of a good "how to"
> reference on APIs?

This has been discussed a few times on the list, so you should be able to find
a fair bit of helpful information in the archives. If you're looking for an
actual course on this, there are some local Montreal techwhirling trainers who
have just announced a course on documenting APIs: head over to
www.gordonandgordon.com for contact information. (They have GNU and can
travel.* In fact, they'll be giving a few seminars at the STC conference this
May.)

* gratuitous Paladin/UNIX pun, fyi.

Disclaimer: Gordon Graham, one of the two principals, is a personal friend.
Manny Gordon, the other principal, is also a friend, though I don't see him
much these days. But speaking objectively, the terrible twosome have been
running seminars for Montreal's STC chapter for many years now, and playing to
packed rooms and appreciative audience. Disclaimers notwithstanding, I feel
that speaks for itself.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- netcom -dot- ca
Pointe-Claire, Quebec, Canada
"Most business books are written by consultants and professors who haven't
spent much time in a cubicle. That's like writing a firsthand account of the
Donner party based on the fact that you've eaten beef jerky."--Scott Adams, The
Dilbert Principle