Re: QUERY: Exporting Windows Adobe FrameMaker Files into Word Docs

Subject: Re: QUERY: Exporting Windows Adobe FrameMaker Files into Word Docs
From: hedley_finger -at- myob -dot- com -dot- au
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 06:37:06 +1000

Trevor:

> Does anyone know how to export Adobe FrameMaker files into Word documents
> while retaining the format established in FrameMaker? My team and I are
> baffled; we can make the file a Word file, but all formatting disappears
> when the Word version opens. Any suggestions?

Try using the Japanese RTF converter or, better yet, get mif2go from
<http://www.omsys.com/>. The mif2go converter preserves formatting,
exports para and char tags to Word styles, and even does intelligent things
with running heads and feet, and composite FrameMaker graphics consisting
of bitmaps imported or copied in and overlaid with FrameMaker vector shapes
and callouts. Index markers are correctly converted to {xe } fields; I
don't know about hypertext markers.

You can even use it for single sourcing on-line Help, either by the FM >
RTF > HAT route or FM > HTML if your help formatting requirements are
modest. If you want fancier help output, probably Webworks Publisher would
be more flexible.

Regards,
Hedley

--
Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor