RE: Thanks and summary: RE: Urgent Help Needed! - Word Doc not op ening

Subject: RE: Thanks and summary: RE: Urgent Help Needed! - Word Doc not op ening
From: Tara English-Sweeney <tesweeney -at- novadigm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 10:28:48 -0500

Hi everyone. Thank you for all of your suggestions. I've tried them all and
unfortunately, I may be out of luck. I have two rays of hope right now. One
of the list members - Kim Roper - and our IT guy who are both still trying
things.

Anyway, I wanted to share the responses I've received in case someone else
needs help someday. Of course, the best solution is to have a backup :)
which I normally do. It's just one of those things...

They are:
The default location for recovered files is: C:\Windows\Application
Data\Microsoft\Word. I think any recovered files will start "AutoRecovery of
Document.wbk". They should open into Word in a normal manner.

How about if you go into Windows Explorer, locate your file and delete any
file with the same name and a ~ in front of it. Then try opening your file
again.

Check for *.tmp files - unexpected shutdowns often leave a *.tmp file that
insists on telling your computer that the file is open or doing something
naughty when it's not.

Also, if you can get into Task Manager. Sometimes an unexpected shutdown
leaves a "Word.exe" file in there.

Check for an AutoRecover file using the Find function in Windows (Start-->
Find --> Files or folders)

Try inserting the file in Word: Open a new document, then Insert -->File

This is a stretch, but it's helped in hopeless situations before. When you
Use File/Open to open the word doc, change the File of Type to Recover Text
from any File (it's at the bottom of the drop down list). You may lose your
formatting; but at least you might get your text back. This is usually my
last resort.

Do you have any .BAK or RTF versions files of the file you were working on?
You can restore the document from the latest one of those you have.

Try looking in c/windows/temp to see if there are any temporary files left.
You might be able to open one of these and recover much of your work.

Tara