Re: Advice wanted...

Subject: Re: Advice wanted...
From: "Elna Tymes" <etymes -at- lts -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 09:34:56 -0800

Jane Carnall wrote:

> Now I want to move on from my current job, and I've contacted various
> agencies - one of which was the agency who got me the interview for the
> start-up job. When I got back to them, they said that the start-up job
> was still open, and did I want to re-apply for it.
>
> This sounds like both a good idea (hey, they wanted me *last* time, and
> we've already gone through the usual routine) and a bad idea: I turned
> them down, and are they likely to forget that? What would you do?
> Sponsored by ForeFront, Inc., maker of ForeHelp Help authoring tools
> for print, WinHelp, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and cross-platform InterHelp
> See www.forehelp.com for more information and free evaluation downloads

The marketplace for technical writers doesn't operate on the same rules as
marriage proposals: you can turn down a company based on conditions that exist
at the time and still be worth considering three months later when your
situation or the market situation changes. Most companies are mature enough to
realize that conditions can change from day to day or week to week, and having
someone become available later on isn't necessarily a bad thing. However the
rules apply in the other direction, too: budgets change, company priorities
change, companies find other candidates - meaning that the opening may no
longer exist.

However, unless you really blew the folks off during your initial interview,
it's worth exploring whether the company is still interested in you. I'd go
for it.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems