FrameMaker Questions: Printing and Exporting

Subject: FrameMaker Questions: Printing and Exporting
From: "Carolynne Robertson" <CRobertson -at- FDMSOFT -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 11:23:07 -0800

Hi Techwr-l subscribers:

I have 2 questions about FrameMaker 6.0 that I hope some of you can
help me with.

Printing Multiple Collated Copies from the Book File
When I am printing several copies of a book at once, how do I specify in
FMaker that I want it to print 1 whole book first, then the second book,
then the third, and so forth?

Right now when I check "Collate" in the Print window, FMaker prints all
of Chapter 1, then a second copy of Chapter 1, etc. In other words, it
only applies the Collate option document by document, not to the whole
book at once.

I am using a duplex printer.

Exporting to MS Word
How do I export a detailed document into MS Word? I need to convert a
FMaker manual into MS Word. When I do File>Save As>MS Word 6.0/7.0 for
simple files with minimal graphics, the conversion happens quite easily.
But when I try this with a detailed document with images, drawing
objects, and special page layouts, I cannot open the converted file in
MS Word. I get the message "Unable to open document as template is
unavailable" or something like that.

This is what I've been doing so far to export my manual:
1. In FrameMaker:
a) Copy the chapter into a new FMaker document with a blank page (no
special layout).
b) Remove all drawing objects and images from the new document.
c) Save the new document as MS Word 6.0/7.0

2. In Word:
a) Open the converted document.
b) Reformat and clean up the text. Text has retained its paragraph
"tags," but I have to clean them up as Word interprets the formatting
differently.
c) Add all screenshots back in (I cannot copy the screenshots directly
from FMaker as they lose their integrity once copied into Word; I have
to run the screenshot through Paint or some other picture editor first).
d) Recreate all drawing objects (ie. callouts).

This procedure is very arduous. Does anyone know a better way?

Regards,

Carolynne Robertson
Technical Writer
FDM Software Ltd.