RE: Leadership

Subject: RE: Leadership
From: Pam Mandel <pmandel -at- nimble -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 08:11:01 -0800

I've been really thankful for this thread. I had leadership thrust upon me
when my boss was re-orged out of a job and it's been challenging and
difficult. I find myself actually reading those articles about management in
the business section. One of them said that a good manager someone who was
not afraid to hire people who are smarter than they are - which makes me a
star as everyone in my team is a rocket scientist! A particularly difficult
thing for me has been that while I go to all the planning meetings and am
involved with the specs, it's the writers in my group who actually know how
the stuff we build works - or at least how it's supposed to. Most of the
writing I get to do now is email to the other managers asking them when that
thing is going to be frozen and would they please stop changing the labels
because we own them, fer cryin' out loud. Sigh. Oh, to write: To make the
widget kablooey, click the whatsit radio button, then pray like hell.
Anyway, all the advice/platitudes have been excellent, both validating and
helpful.
Thanks.

Pam