Re: laid off

Subject: Re: laid off
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <susanwg -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:20:20 -0800

> It happened again. I was laid off on March 2nd...

It's sure not the job market it was six months ago.
<sigh> Hiring freezes are popping up everywhere and
requisitions are getting cancelled before they're
filled. Watch the NASDAQ for a reflection of our
job market.

I don't know if this will be as bad as Ronnie's
Recession back in the early nineties. Back then,
I was new in town and had no network to rely on,
my family was trying to convince me that tech
writing was a dead-end job, and to be honest,
that "We're Hiring" sign at the local Pic N Save
was starting to look mighty tempting. ;-)

But if you like what you do and you're any good
at it, that next position will come along and the
political/economic climate will quiet down and all
of a sudden you're established. As unlikely as it
sounds right now, it will happen. Don't lose your
confidence, don't lose your sense of values, don't
compromise your sense of self-worth.

Back then, I refused to accept less than
my going rate for a temp position with a
leading CBT vendor and they hired somebody
cheaper. Then their project lead had to take an
extended medical leave and they needed someone
who could bail out the project. They called me.
I got my rate, they met their deliverable date,
I had my local reference, and the rest is history!
;-)

<aside> BTW - I suffered from a hard disk crash
about a week after my layoff, so I've lost everyone's
address and all the messages of condolences/requests
for resumes -- I'm not ignoring you!

And I'm still looking. I've been through "Gee, how
did a technical writer get involved in usability???"
%-\
and I'm afraid I burned my bridges with the COBOL
people when I asked who the heck is using COBOL now
that the Y2K mess is over with!
;-)
So, here's to the next interview! Good luck to all of us!
</aside>

-Sue Gallagher
susanwg -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com