Re: Personal development plan

Subject: Re: Personal development plan
From: Bill Swallow <bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 16:18:25 -0800 (PST)

> I have been asked by my manager to create a personal
> development plan.
> Somehow I do not think "come in, do my job, and
> leave" will fly. Has
> anyone else completed one? What was included? Is
> there anyone willing to
> show me an example? Thanks in advance.

"Come in, do my job, and leave" is not a development
plan. It's a schedule (a weak one).

What your manager is looking for is a progression of
skill building and project acheivement. Something
like:

1. Become acquainted with the product enough to be
able to write about it.

2. Become a "power-user" of whatever technology you'll
be using to write your documentation (basically, get
good enough that using the tool doesn't get in the way
of the writing).

3. Eventually say "we should develop online help" or
"we should publish electronic copies to our servers"
and pick up a HAT (help authoring tool) and/or
Acrobat.

4. Eventually look to the Web as another means of
publishing.

Of course I have no idea if this even fits your
company's product and purpose. Basically, figure out
what it is your company needs now, what you can
provide now, and then what your company will need from
you in, oh, say 5 years, and the steps you need to
take to get there. Mark milestones on the plan to keep
yourself on mark.

=====
Bill Swallow
Information Design & Development Professional
bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com - www.geocities.com/bill_swallow
Editor, InFrame Magazine <www.inframe-mag.com>
WebWorks Wizard

http://auctions.yahoo.com/