Re: Why I need the Internet at Work (spun off Fave Tech Writing websites)

Subject: Re: Why I need the Internet at Work (spun off Fave Tech Writing websites)
From: "Maggie Secara" <maggiros -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 00:10:29 -0800

Two things, most companies are not swift enough to handle actual content
filtering. That requires some pretty seriously powerful proxy server software.

More than likely your browser has a rather restrictive security setting. Check
the security settings for your browser and lower them if necessary. See if that
helps.

That's within the realm of possibility. I do prefer to fix stuff myself, if I can.

It is more than likely the IT guys have a badly configured proxy server. They
are not out to get you just because you're a lowly tech writer. Do some
research and figure out a way around the proxy server.

I don't so much take the installation personally as my manager's wide eyed curiosity about why I mind.

What we're doing here is trying to create order out of their chaos of a network. From what I've seen so far, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the security set up was completely accidental.

However, it is worth noting that whether you are a contractor or an employee,
your employer owns the Internet connection. They are well within their legal
rights to restrict your access and monitor your usage.

Absolutely.

This goes for email as
well.

Yep. Although there's another whole story there, for another time.

You will not win an argument demanding privacy rights. You have none when
you're using a company Internet connection.

I'm well aware of that, and I haven't demanded anything. Just enquired. No one else on the team appears to have this restriction. The only person not puzzled by that is my on-site team manager.

Maggie