Re: Why I need the Internet at Work (spun off Fave Tech Writing websites)

Subject: Re: Why I need the Internet at Work (spun off Fave Tech Writing websites)
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 06:57:55 -0800 (PST)

Maggie Secara has very limited Internet access at her new place of employment
and is trying to figure out how to make the argument for greater access.

Once upon a time, a long, long time ago at the dawn of the Internet age (Okay,
it was about five years ago.), I was working at a place that didn't have the
kind of interdiction software we have today--and that Maggie has
encountered--but they did have people devoted, and I mean devoted, to reading
the logs looking for 'unauthorized' access to Internet sites. (Unauthorized
being defined as anything _they_ did not think was appropriate, and, yes, this
varied from checker to checker.)

After a few unsatisfying conversations about the appropriateness of certain
sites to my work--or my sanity for that matter--I decided that it wasn't worth
fighting about. I brought a laptop into the office and hooked the modem up to
the telephone and logged onto my ISP and bypassed their whole network,
monitoring, and restrictions.

This had the added benefit of cutting down the telephone interruptions I had
during the day, too.<g>

=====
Tom Murrell
Lead Technical Writer