Re: Catbert and employee performance reviews

Subject: Re: Catbert and employee performance reviews
From: SteveFJong -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 12:30:31 EST

Mike Buckler <mbuckler -at- opera -dot- iinet -dot- net -dot- au> is bemused by the criteria for his
performance review, and wants to know if he should respond with random
numbers in his self-assessment. To Mike I say: Would you want the raises in
your group to be assigned randomly as well? (Tee hee...!)

Seriously, Dr. Deming practically labeled performance reviews a piece of
crock, because most variations in performance are due to factors outside the
workers' control, and advocated abandonment of the practice. But it was the
radical man's most radical idea, and unfortunately, in business today the
exact opposite holds true: the practice is embraced.

Given that your boss has to rate your performance and portion out raises from
a limited budget, aren't you at least better off knowing there are specific
rules to the game? My group (OK, I) use three of the 14 criteria you listed!
My only criticism is that you're stuck with too many. (Yes, I also believe in
the magic number 7 8^) You might question the vaguer ones ("fit for position"
and "attitude"). But no, I wouldn't go goofy in your self-assessment, lest
you earn a "1" rating for attitude 8^)

-- Steve

Steven Jong, Documentation Team Manager ("Typo? What tpyo?")

Lightbridge, Inc., 67 S. Bedford St., Burlington, MA 01803 USA

mailto:Jong -at- lightbridge -dot- com -dot- nospam 781.359.4902[V], 781.359.4500[F]

Home Sweet Homepage: http://hometown.aol.com/SteveFJong