RE: QUERY: trying to increase website use by our customers

Subject: RE: QUERY: trying to increase website use by our customers
From: "Rich, Charles" <crich -at- FSC -dot- Follett -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 13:48:16 -0600

The many marketing gurus on the web all seem to agree that a consumer has to
see your website address and contact information somewhere between three and
five times before it really sinks into the mind. Unfortunately for us, the
documentation may be read once, at best. In actuality, the end user of your
equipment may not receive the documentation at all. For example, how many
times have you asked your mechanic if you could read the box your new air
cleaner came in? Did you know you are supposed to blow the dust out of it at
least once a month with an air hose or take it to your mechanic and let him
do so?

The most effective placement of your contact information is on the product
itself, if at all possible, in the form of a label. Because of today's
labeling standards on foods, product labels are one of the few sets of
instructions that nearly every user reads at least once. I can tell you, for
instance, where my bottle of coke was packaged just off the top of my head,
but I honestly couldn't tell you what weight of motor oil I have in my car
right now. Had my mechanic placed a label on the inside of my windshield
telling me which oil he put in, I'd probably be able to tell you. Hmmm.
<note to self> Ask the mechanic to put one of those little sticker thingies
in my car window next time. </note to self>

Charles T. Rich
Technical Writer
Product Development
Follett Software Company