Re: Standards Creep (was "Documentation plans, standards manuals, and more")

Subject: Re: Standards Creep (was "Documentation plans, standards manuals, and more")
From: "Robert B Kennedy" <bobbykennedy44 -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 17:06:51 -0400

Andrew Plato said:
Maybe it is just the "fracturing" that we've debated before on this list.
Tech
writing is fracturing into two distinct types: tool/writing monkeys and
subject
experts. The tool monkeys hate the subject folks because we won't
acknowledge
their tool skills, and the subject folks are too busy cashing checks and
getting their pet's food bowls gold plated.

NO, AT LEAST 3 GROUPS EXIST: the two AP mentions above,
and the "Quick Study" hybrid version of these two -- I've just
finished a Corporate Security Policy consisting of Standards and
corresponding Principles, and I wouldn't have been able to tell you
what Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) meant
before this assignment. I've turned down the company's proffer for a
"permanent" position because of the BS attitudes toward "standardizing
a formal set of criteria for...yada, yada, yada" I've seen among
captive tech writing depts. (Seems like the classic psychological case
of "Compensation" -- a dept. that feels itself inferior to others will
inflate
its importance by devising new and better ways to waste more time,
thereby gratifying a need for self-perpetuating esteem.)

NB: I am not a member nor an adherent of the AP cult, I just
enjoy his sarcasm... such a handy tool in NYC.

Bobby Kennedy
Technical Writer
NYC/NJ/Phila.

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.