RE: teaching tech writing?

Subject: RE: teaching tech writing?
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 16:11:19 -0400

Julie,

You don't mention where you are located or what your credentials/degrees
are. Those can be factors. Some advice: have a good idea of why you want to
teach and what you, particularly, can bring to your students. Write those
down. Then, when you have to present those thoughts to the school, you'll
have something concrete to offer.

Having taught in graduate tech writing programs myself for about 12 years,
I'd suggest you get ahold of a paperback called something like "The Adjunct
Professor's Survival Guide." It gives info on how to write course
objectives, how to run a class, how to deal with the arcane realities of
academia, and the like.

Good luck! I find teaching fun and energizing. Above all, I enjoy the
students! Keeps me pushing the edges of my own knowledge, too, which makes
me a better tech writer.

Marguerite

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.