Re: True Technical Writer

Subject: Re: True Technical Writer
From: Scott Turner <sturner -at- airmail -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:17:56 -0500

If this is off topic, forgive me. I'm new at this. I was hired at this
company as a paralegal and ended up doing the technical writing for our
software product. As I had no programming experience, the programmers many
times write the "help" for SOME of their executables and enhancements. When
they do the writing, I do change it, enhance it, tweak it, etc. Many times
(more often than not) I do the writing and have the programmer review it.
My question is this: What am I if I am not doing all of the "writing". Am
I considered a true "technical writer". Would be interested in your
thoughts. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been put in this position.
Thanks much.

You would qualify as a "true technical writer." Many technical writers are in that position. The only cure to being able to take over more of the writing tasks is to become technically proficient. That does not mean being able to write code, it means being able to understand code, understand the software, interview the programmers for information, and synthesize it into a coherent document.

Scott

Build Contents, Indexes, and Search for Web Sites and Help Systems Available 4/30/01 at http://www.devahelp.com or info -at- devahelp -dot- com