Re: Looking for "best of breed" developer/API docs

Subject: Re: Looking for "best of breed" developer/API docs
From: David Castro <thetechwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 08:59:16 -0700 (PDT)

> I'd appreciate any pointers you have to "best of breed"
> developer or API documentation. If you have time to offer
> commentary on what makes it so good, that's all the better.

Anytime I've been asked this in the past, I've pointed people to the API
documentation that Sun created for its Java language. In my role as developer,
I've found them to be easy to navigate (their best feature), full of examples
that help me to understand what I'm supposed to do, and descriptive enough to
get the point across, without going on at length.

Other API docs that were good were those that came with Delphi 3, from
Borland/Inprise. Unfortunately, all that made them good disappeared from them
when it went to Delphi 4. In fact, I liked some of the aspects of the Delphi 3
docs so much that I replicated them in my own developer docs.

For non-API developer documentation, I have to rave about the book I read on
JavaServer Pages technology: Web Development with JavaServer Pages
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1884777996/o/qid=987004502/sr=2-1/107-9744687-7326928).
It's the best developer doc I've ever read. I read it straight through, only
skipping one chapter. The folks on Amazon seem to agree with my
assessment...it's got 4.5 of 5.0 stars.

-David Castro
email -at- davidcastro -dot- com
http://www.davidcastro.com