Membership in STC (was RE: Well, I Sure Won't Be in Chicago)

Subject: Membership in STC (was RE: Well, I Sure Won't Be in Chicago)
From: "Karen E. Black" <kblack_text -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 20:04:49 -0400

I had a look at the latest Intercom's plea for TWs to attend this year's STC conference (at my last job my Toronto team couldn't get any work done for a week due to the Denver team's attendance at a conference in Hawaii).

I can't go. I don't want to go. I'll go if they want to send me but they won't want to send me. I won't ask. Maybe next year I'll plead if it's in a neat location or close to home.

While job-hunting, I renewed my sporadic membership and paid extra for membership in SIGs, but I don't see any difference so far (like getting special oil for a car I only drive once a month).

BUT...

I do like their publications--like the quarterly journal, monthly (or whatever) Intercom, and our chapter newsletter (WHO did you say had a baby??) and thinking about attending a wine-n-cheese. So that's worth the $200+ CDN membership fee.

I refuse to vote for a person who's been wearing the same cowboy hat for the past 5 years (no offense if you're on the list, but I don't vote for mayors I've never heard speak either).

Karen Black
Lone Writer
Davis+Henderson
Toronto, ON