Re: Gender Issues in Technical Communication

Subject: Re: Gender Issues in Technical Communication
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharonburton -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 17:31:30 -0700

Oh, have you opened a box. Women are frequently put through all sorts of
things, and the assumption is that we are not technical. The starting
assumption. We have to prove that we are. I have stories... We all have
stories.

I have been told so many times that "I would explain this to you, but I
think it is too technical." I can strip a computer to its parts, diagnose,
and rebuild it. I can program. I can lay my own phone and network cable, I
have been a system administrator. I am a PhD candidate. I have a purple belt
in karate. I support all the technology at my house because my husband
doesn't get it. I think I can understand whatever you are going to tell me.
If not, I'll get out my lipstick and jam it in your eye, that's how you will
know you are over my head... How about that? Think we can work with that? Or
is that too technical for ya?

Of course, with the new STC branding thing, we are all now "Bohemian" and
several other amazingly dumb things that really make me want to drop my
membership, except that I am too committed to the difference the chapter is
making in the lives of the people in my chapter.

I am having a really tough week in general. I need a drink. I think I am
being slightly hostile and definitely cynical. I gotta go. I think this is
over my head...

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
Anthrobytes Consulting
909-369-8590
www.anthrobytes.com
Vice-president, Programs of the Inland Empire chapter of the STC
www.iestc.org