RE: English Majors and Ex-Military

Subject: RE: English Majors and Ex-Military
From: "Gilger.John" <JGilger -at- acresgaming -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 12:49:04 -0700

Maybe there is a difference between Navy/Marine and Army/Air Force?

I know the Navy places great emphasis on technical training and tries to
incorporate the latest hi-tech gee-whiz toys they can get their hands. At
least that was the case for twenty years while I was in the Submarine
Service :)

In 1983 as a tech writer (Navy called me a Nuclear Repair Planner), I was
tasked with evaluating which hw/sw combination would be best to replace our
IBM Selectric IIs. It was a tough choice between Apple II, IBM PC, Tandy
Radio Shack (TRS). The Apple and the IBM didn't have a word processor at the
time that would meet the specs we had developed. I turned in my report just
before being transferred, but I think they bought the TRS package <lol>.
That was a whole 'nuther lifetime ago.

John Gilger
Senior Technical Writer
Acres Gaming, Inc.