RE: Stupid tasks (was Re: NEED HELP..PLEASE RESPOND)

Subject: RE: Stupid tasks (was Re: NEED HELP..PLEASE RESPOND)
From: "Gilger.John" <JGilger -at- acresgaming -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 08:22:42 -0700

I my world this has always been part of being a team. On a good team, you do
what has to be done, period. If you are part of a work group, you carp and
moan, "It's not my job."

Most organizations proclaim their desire for teamwork. You see "Must be a
good team player" as a common requirement in job postings. Thousands of
dollars, pounds, marks, and yen are spent every year in an attempt to
"develop team work."

I guess topic boils down to "Are you a team player?"

John Gilger
Senior Technical Writer
Acres Gaming, Inc.
702.914.5585

Jo Byrd responded to Dick M:

Women tend to get REAL touchy about this, Dick.

<snip>
No one has asked me to make coffee recently. They'd only ask once, probably,
too, I'm not a coffee drinker, and like most non-coffee drinkers, I make
TERRIBLE coffee. I HAVE been asked to do clerical things before, and I've
done them. If they want the world's best paid file clerk, that's not my
problem. That task isn't going on my resume.

Jo Byrd

Dick Margulis wrote:

Sharon Burton-Hardin wrote:

>Always do stupid tasks badly with a smile. You will not be asked again.

Excuse me?

Look. The coffee needs to be made. The recycling bins need to be wheeled to
the loading dock. The sink needs to be wiped out. The juice cooler needs to
be restocked. [Intentional and appropriate use of passive voice going on
here;-)]

If it is beneath your dignity to take your turn at these tasks, just whose
dignity is it above?

<snip>

Sure. We all want to be respected for our professional skills and the
quality of the work we turn out.

<snip

But to refuse on principle because you're too important to take out the
trash? Get off it.

Sheesh!

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.