RE: Using "Tip" and "Note" in procedure writing

Subject: RE: Using "Tip" and "Note" in procedure writing
From: "SHIELDS,SUSAN (HP-FtCollins,ex1)" <susan_shields2 -at- hp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 12:32:15 -0400

In reference to using "Tip" and "Note" in procedure writing, Christian
Walter said:
>My view is that the difference between the labels "tip" and "note" and
>"information," et al, might be too subtle to be meaningful for the average
>user.
<snip>
>Anyone know of any studies or other data I can show my cohorts here?

Where's your audience analysis? The most useful approach would be to find
out what your "average users" get out of the documentation. We on the list
can give you anecdotal data and maybe point you to a study or more formal
data but the most pertinent information will come from your own interactions
(whether casual or studied) with your users. *That* data ought to carry a
lot of weight with your cohorts, too.

Susan