Re: WORD issue

Subject: Re: WORD issue
From: Jonathan Kajeckas <jgkaje -at- wm -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 09:04:35 -0400

The styles problem does consume some memory; although the maximum number of styles per document or template is 10,000 (http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q211/4/89.ASP) you could run into problems much sooner than that, and primarily for your own sanity you might need to sort them out or reapply styles that you create and store in a template. The overall problem with memory, however, is no doubt the graphics.
To spare Word the task of redrawing the graphics as you scroll through the document, select Tools, Options, View, Picture Placeholders. This will show empty boxes where you have inserted graphics, and cut out a lot of processing. Where possible, I prefer not to paste images into Word, but instead to insert links to the images stored as external files. This minimizes the size of the Word file and allows me to edit the image outside of Word, e.g., a jpg in Photoshop, then tell Word to either update its image automatically or manually if I have changed the external image file. To insert a link in Word2000 rather than paste in an image, Insert, Picture->From File..., choose the file, then drop down the button labeled Insert and choose Link to File. This linking method for graphics is the same used by html, and may facilitate web authoring, since you would need external graphics files for the web version (if you do one). Incidentally, you can still crop and resize images in Word that you have inserted as links, but this does start to introduce processing overhead again; better to have the external graphic at the size you want.

Jonathan

At 04:13 PM 5/1/2001 -0400, you wrote:

Does anyone have a handy-dandy solution to this problem?

I'm working in Word 2000 on a PC. I inherited a file that I am upgrading. It has ppt slides pasted in using Snagit. It also has in the left-hand column icons (in color) for things like tips, reminder, ask, response etc. It has an unbelievably nested set of styles which I've tried to mess with but it ends up creating such problems that I usually undo.

So my problem is that it will suddenly decide that it doesn't have enough memory to redraw the pictures (it is selective about which ones) and then crashes. I reboot (monumental pain in the...) and sometimes it goes fine but I have to repaste the missing slides and icons. Just now it decided to not draw the icons I had just repasted. Could it be memory? How do you increase the memory allocated to word on a PC? I know how on my Mac, but not the other machine. I have plenty of RAM, have handled files with 120 complex graphic slides in PPT. I suspect that there is a keystroke answer to this problem, so I'm asking you all. Someone may have figured it out. (This problem feels familiar think I ran into something like it 2-3 years ago - but don't remember how I got out of it.)

Thanks for the help.
Annamarie

Jonathan Kajeckas
IT Liaison for Morton