Re: PDFMaker alternatives

Subject: Re: PDFMaker alternatives
From: Meg Halter <aiki4us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 08:00:37 -0700 (PDT)

Jennifer O Neill wrote:
[snip]
However, eventually the IT dept. found the problem: you can't
use PDFMaker unless you're logged on as an administrator (which
I'm not at work).
[snip]
-----------------------
And David M. Brown [dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com] replied:

Adobe tech support told me that PDFMaker is not supported on NT,
and indeed we couldn't get it to run at all (works great on 98).
[snip]
---------------------------
PDFMaker for Acrobat 4 works fine on NT4. I've had no troubles
with it. In fact Adobe has an article on using PDFMaker with
Word and Power Point which explicitly states that NT4 is one of
the target OSs.

As for Jennifer's original question -- I'm administrator on all
my systems. However, a few months ago I had a little wrestling
match with one of them that might offer a clue. Unfortunately,
I'm a little fuzzy on the details because it was a while ago. I
got in one morning, turned a machine on and poof! the my user
profile information was corrupted. I fixed it, which resulted in
new user profile being set up. When I tried to use PDFMaker, it
no longer worked because my user profiles wasn't the same as
the one that installed it. Reinstalled Acrobat, and all was
well.

Based on this episode, I wonder if Jennifer's problem is that
she's a different user, rather than that she's not
administrator.
Perhaps, Jennifer, you could persuade your IT people to let you
try to reinstall Acrobat on your machine? Dunno if it would
correct your problem, since I've always been administrator.

<grump>
However that's going to change. The IT Borg are assimilating us.
They will issue us standard PCs with standard software and we
will no longer have admin accounts. One of the IT people told me
that "resistance is futile". It would have been funny if I
wasn't so mad. Grrr. </grump>

-- Meg

http://auctions.yahoo.com/