RE: tool nonsense (gearing up to be a tech writer)

Subject: RE: tool nonsense (gearing up to be a tech writer)
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 17:03:42 -0400

On 05/02/2001 4:01 PM, Swallow, William (WSwallow -at- courion -dot- com) wrote:

>Answer them, and for cripes sake, be honest! None of this "Yes, I know that
tool.
>It's a long-time friend of the family" crap if you don't know it. I never
>had to stoop that low, and I wouldn't tolerate working with someone who did.
>If you say you know WhooptieDoo2000, then you'd better be able to use it
>when you get hired.

How low that is stooping is, of course, a matter of opinion. Nobody here
has suggested claiming to be a brain surgeon just prior to entering the
operating room. Tools are easy to learn, especially for people who claim
to be able to learn fast and write even faster (all of us, I mean). If I
claim on Friday that I know a tool that I plan to learn before Monday,
it's because:

1) I've heard of the tool, and know how complicated it is (or isn't).
B) I'm responding to a question that has no consequence to the reality of
the position, no matter what the clueless headhunter or HR person may
think.
iii) Tools are easy to learn (have I mentioned that one?).

In other words, if I claim I know WhooptieDoo2000, it's because it's a
trivial, throw-away question that is safe for most of us to lie about.
And once that question's out of the way, I can back up my claims if/when
I get hired on my more important talents. Tools don't matter; writing
skill and an ability to learn fast matter.

----->Mike

stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com -- AOL and AOL Instant Messenger:MStockman