RE: Need some help on Crossreferencing in MS-Word:

Subject: RE: Need some help on Crossreferencing in MS-Word:
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 10:59:45 +0100

Hi Sujata,

>Problem Statement:
>A caption which is part of style elements is not identified by
>crossreference function. But if caption is inserted from Insert-Caption
>submenu then this is identified and can be cross referenced. Why so? Is
>there a way to refer a caption that is part of style elements.

Word starts off with three basic captions that can be referred to using the
crossreference function: Equation, Figure, and Table. These captions are
identified by Word as "labels".

To create a new kind of label that can be referred to as a crossreference,
used for a table of contents, etc, you go to the Caption option on the
Insert menu, and click on the New Label button. Enter the name for your new
label, click OK, click OK. (You can delete labels as well from this window.)

Now when you go to the Crossreference option on the Insert menu, you will
see the name you entered in the New Label window. You can use your new label
just as you can use Figure, Table, or Equation.

Hope this helps! For detailed queries on how to use Word, I recommend the
Word-PC list - mailto:word-pc-subscribe-request -at- liverpool -dot- ac -dot- uk to join
(no subject or command text required). Archives saved on:
http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/archives/word-pc.html

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Digital Bridges, Scotland
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.