Re: Options for creating documentation for OEM products

Subject: Re: Options for creating documentation for OEM products
From: David Castro <thetechwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 08:04:20 -0700 (PDT)

> If your company sells its product both to OEMs under the OEM's brand and to
> other entities under the company's own brand, how are you handling the
> documentation? Do you rebrand and repackage it for the OEMs or do they do it
> themselves?

I'm involved in my first OEM documentation right now. We are rebranding the
documentation for the company, but we're being paid extra to do it.

> Do you have any responsibility for the documentation once you hand off to
> the OEM? If so, to what extent?

Not sure what you mean. They gave us a list of things that need to be changed
(nomenclature, portions that their version of the application doesn't support,
and so on), and I am making those changes in the documentation with conditional
text and variables in FrameMaker.

> Is there a need to track their changes?

I'm sending them shipping-ready PDF.

> If repackaging, how are you accomplishing this: do you maintain separate
> source or do you single source and conditionally tag vendor-specific
> content?

Well, before I realized to ask if this was an ongoing thing, I made a separate
copy of the docs for the company, and modified them by deleting content,
renaming stuff, and so on. Once I realized that this was something we were
going to need to do for all future releases, I started using variables and
conditional text tags to do the same.

-David Castro
email -at- davidcastro -dot- com
http://www.davidcastro.com