RE: Education Question

Subject: RE: Education Question
From: NZjaba -at- phi -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 16:16:46 -0500

David Berg wrote:

<I can't imagine any hiring manager seeing an advantage in someone earning
an associate degree after they already have a bachelor's.>

Actually, that's what I did in order to make the transition into a
technical field. I had a journalism BA, and later earned an associate's
degree in electron microscopy. After 2 years in an analytical lab looking
at semiconductors, I got a tech writing job for a manufacturer of
analytical equipment. That associate's degree proved to be pretty
valuable.

Would it work as well if the degree were in tech communication? Hard to
say. My point is simply that sometimes the nonlinear avenue with regard to
degrees can work pretty well.

Nancy E. Zjaba, Technical Writer
Physical Electronics
6509 Flying Cloud Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344
USA
(952) 828-6386
nzjaba -at- phi -dot- com

I don't think anything I've ever done is wrong.
-- Homer Simpson