HELP_software to manage document library

Subject: HELP_software to manage document library
From: Annamaria Profit <inteltek2 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 08:04:58 -0400

Good morning colleagues,

I have a problem I need help with. The company I work for has a 1 trillion byte library of documents that I need to turn into a retrievable database of reusable parts. I need to break up the documents into sections, and design a system to query them for key words, retrieve the sections, and update them. Right now they're split (by another manager) into non-searchable files. The company initially asked me to bring in vendors to solve the problem for us. However, in the process my CFO decided to use the budget to solve her own issues, so I'm left with this WORD albatross, an in-house MS ACCESS tool, and the mandate to start updating the old mess immediately. When I looked at ACCESS, it told me the largest text portion it could handle was 255 bytes--not even close to what I need, volume-wise. So I need some ideas from you all about:
1. An alternative text base system
2. Creative ways to index, retrieve, and store the current WORD files
3. Any other suggestions you might have to dealing with this dilemna.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
--

Annamaria Profit
E-mail: inteltek2 -at- earthlink -dot- net

Life is all about Loving...everything else is just so much noise...