RE: need advice

Subject: RE: need advice
From: "Swallow, William" <WSwallow -at- courion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 07:47:52 -0400

:: I am new to tech writing and would wanna know wat r the
:: tools one has to be comfortable in to get a break as a Tech
:: writer. I am based at Bangalore in India.

Although tools do pad the resume nicely, I wouldn't focus on them to get an
entry level position. If you are familiar with Word and other MS Office
products, you should be all set. But, if you have the money and the time to
spend, first check out the job advertisements/announcements in your area and
learn the tools that you see featured most often in those advertisements.
Chances are you can get by with a limited time/functionality demo to get the
basics down (this way you're not spending a lot of money). I have no idea
what the market is like in India, but this practice seems to work in almost
all situations. The only exception is if companies are using large legacy
documentation systems, in which case you're just plain out of luck with
learning that tool on your own.

Most companies will accept an entry level writer who has SOME experience
using Word and so forth. What they mainly look for in an entry level person
is some kind of academic qualification (degree or professional certificate)
and the willingness/eagerness to learn and get the job done.

Wishing you much luck,

BILL SWALLOW
Technical Writer
C O U R I O N C O R P O R A T I O N