Resume Writing

Subject: Resume Writing
From: "Pitt, Julie" <julie -dot- pitt -at- digex -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 10:51:47 -0400

<<For a person who has ten years experience and a fair amount of raw skills,
I would guess it
would take 1-2 hours (including edits) to sift through the information and
churn out a good summary & resume. If you know what people's skills mean
already, it doesn't take long to work them into something. Of course, the
more you have to write yourself (vs. edit) and verify with the candidate,
the longer it takes. Sometimes I had to call people up and go through
everything on their resume line by line to get the kind of detail we needed.
The strength of the original resume is most important thing - as well as
practice -- there is a definite style to that kind of writing.>>

I would agree, and add the following input from my own experience. When I
was a proposal writer, (re-)writing resumes was a normal part of the
proposal process. We'd gear the resumes to highlight the relevant experience
required in the RFP we were responding to (as most of us do when applying
for a new job). Sometimes the RFP also included a specific resume format
that had to be followed, but that was handled by the proposal production
folks. As Sarah indicates, the most tedious part was calling up people and
going through their resumes line by line--especially if we were proposing
them for positions they weren't completely qualified for . . . (*Gasp! We'd
never do *that*, would we?)

Julie, glad to be out of the proposal business

| Julie Pitt Digex, Inc. |
| Service Excellence Manager One Digex Plaza |
| Digex Consulting Beltsville, MD 20705 |
| Julie -dot- Pitt -at- Digex -dot- com http://www.digex.com |