FWD: Losing my profession?

Subject: FWD: Losing my profession?
From: "Pitt, Julie" <julie -dot- pitt -at- digex -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 13:08:06 -0400

Anonymous wrote, in part:

<<I am weary of all this, tired of being subject to constant layoffs, and
wondering what happened to my profession. Is techwhirling really a
career, or is it just a series of odd jobs? I have also realized that if
I did find technology inherently fascinating, I would be much better off
as a developer.>>

>From your full post, it sounds like your technical writing experience has
been limited to the software development environment. There are MANY, MANY
other venues in which technical writing occurs (proposal development,
manufacturing, trade publications, the sciences), as well as other types of
positions that involve some technical writing (training, quality management,
corporate communications). Perhaps you've not so much "lost your profession"
as have become burned out on one specific "flavor" of it. If you really like
writing and technology, you might want to consider moving in a direction
other than software development.

Forgive me if I have misinterpreted your dilemma.

Julie, who's done a little bit of almost everything when it comes to
technical writing

| Julie Pitt Digex, Inc. |
| Service Excellence Manager One Digex Plaza |
| Digex Consulting Beltsville, MD 20705 |
| Julie -dot- Pitt -at- Digex -dot- com http://www.digex.com |